Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thankful Thursday 2

I am thankful for my education. The years I spent in public grade school, as an undergraduate in college, and in law school, established a foundation on which I can rely for the rest of my life. It enables me to analyze problems, complex and simple, fluid and halting, theoretical and existing. It gave me the confidence to believe in myself and my own opinions, and to think critically. Wealth, health, loved ones, and even freedom can be taken away, but not education.

I'm also thankful for my grandparents. They were a soft place to land as a child, all about hugs and cookies, Christmas and birthdays. They taught me the value in learning from my elders, about our history, as a family, a culture, and a nation, so that I can learn from the mistakes of those who came before me. They taught me how to waterski, fish, use a screwdriver, do my makeup, shave, make apricot cobbler, walk like a penguin, to wash my hands before eating, and that there are times in which, if I don't have anything nice to say, then I shouldn't say anything at all.

2 comments:

  1. Nice post Jamie - love the grandparents wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. You're very to lucky to have learned so much from your grandparents!

    ReplyDelete